Let’s get one thing straight. You may want to know why I can write about how to be successful as I am no Bill Gates or Steve Jobs myself. The thing is that I come across a lot of people who talk about being successful but have no clue what that really means. So this is a fun post that I thought to share which will help you think about what success could be for you. Hint: It’s more about you than anything else.
- Define Success for YOU. I am amazed to meet people who talk about success by comparing with other people. Don’t do that. Instead, define what Success is for you. For example, most people want to have a lot of money. But do you really know why you want that much money ? What will you do with it ? Because everything has a trade-off in life. So perhaps you don’t want to make THAT much money and instead want to make reasonably good money so that you can do other things in life. May be ? Perhaps success for you means being able to live a healthy and long life with your loved ones. Perhaps success for you means being able to travel the world whenever and wherever you want. See what I mean ? My definition of success may not be same as your definition of success. So define success first for YOU.
- Setup an End Goal: This one agains sounds simple but most people don’t have any goals to achieve what they want. Goals allow you to be more definitive in what you want and then you have a set of actions you can take. Without Goals, you are just going through the motions and don’t really know how you will achieve what you want for yourself.
- Take Risks: Playing safe is good but it doesn’t get you too far. Sometimes, you have to take risks to go after what you really want. Be willing to lose and if you go about life that way, you will win more often than lose.
- Be Persistent: Don’t give up too quickly on whatever it is that you are doing. Most people fail because they give up too easily on anything worth doing. I am not suggesting to be delusional but remember that failure is part of success. So the key is to keep going as much as possible.
- Be Selfish: Yes, you heard it. As they announce in airplanes “Put your own mask first”. What this really means is that if you don’t take care of yourself first, you won’t succeed in life. So be selfish. Go do something for you first before helping everyone else around you. It is ok. Don’t be a jerk but be selfish. There is a difference.
- Give up: But didn’t I say don’t give up in #4 above. Yes, I did. But here I am talking about giving up on distractions and unnecessary things that will take your focus away from what you really want to achieve. Successful people only achieve success when they do that ONE thing really well. Unfortunately, that is the cost of success. You cannot have everything in the world. High achievers have a focussed approach on ONE thing.
I am sure I can come up with a few more but enough for now :). Most importantly, life is short and never forget that. So use it to do things that matter the most to you and your loved ones.